Monday, March 22, 2010

Part C - Application of Analysis

Cabin Design
Site Plan
Ground Floor Plan
First Floor Plan
East & West Elevation
North Elevation
Section A-A & Section B-B
Three-dimensional volumetric exterior representation



Environmental Filter
Orientation: When designing the cabin and choosing the orientation, I applied some basic principles, such as protect the eastern and southern sides to allow for the cooling breeze. These principles were also applied to the Canoe Reach Residence meaning that their orientation seems very similiar when looking at the house. Protecting from the western sun: It is common knowledge that it is best to protect a building from the afternoon sun. This is why I have postitioned the house facing to east to catch the morning sunlight for the house. In the afternoon, sun is going to west, and the sunlight is directly going to western side and back of the house. And then I designed the concrete wall to protect the house, and also I designed the shade to protect those windows which facing to the west.

Views: The Canoe Reach Residence is located nearby the Brisbane River, with great views of the river side. I wanted to incorporate this into the cabin design, and that is why I opened the east facade of the cabin as well as included a lot of windows to exploit those great views. The house is lifted up by supporting columns to give a sense of high view of east. In the cabin, we can get the nice views through the living room, dining room, and bedroom.

Opening the eastern facade: In order to exploit the common south eastern winds, I opened up the eastern facade of the cabin and including large glass doors. To be open the view, the house can catch the morning sunlight and air flow.


Space within space: I design the cabin as two parts, semi-public space and private space. The semi-public space includes living room, dining room, and kitchen. The private space is higher that the semi-public space, including bathroom, working room, and bedroom.



A Delightful Experience
Structure: The cabin is divided into two parts, and each part has its own functions. The ground floor is a semi-public space, and it includes the living room, dining room, and kitchen. The living room has three sides windows to get enough sunlight and to get nice views of the environment. The upper floor is a private space, including bathroom, working room, bedroom, and reflecting space. It is supported by steel columns to achieve a nice view from the bedroom and reflecting space.
Entrance: The long and strait entrance of Canoe Reach Residence is made by concrete and steel, which is very impressive. To imitate its idea, I designed a similar entrance for the cabin, which leads to the main entrance of the cabin.
Pavilion: The pavilion of the Canoe Reach Residence is a special living room for people to view the riverside. And the walls of pavilion are made of glasses. However, the pavilion I designed is a part of the bedroom on the upper floor. The bedroom has two parts, sleeping space and reflecting space, and they are divided by a folding door.



A Container of Human Activities

Zoning for activities: The division of zones for human activities is very clear in the cabin design. Each part is a separate zone for human activities. The ground floor is a semi-public space for living and dining. The upper floor is a private space for working, reflecting, and sleeping.

Circulation space: From the floor plan, the circulation space can be showed clearly. The corridor and stairs connect to each space.


No comments:

Post a Comment